Friday, June 6, 2014

Author Support

I've been thinking about something a lot lately that I think other writers should consider: Don't underestimate the power of local author groups.

The Elko County Writers started in 2013 with the simple mission of helping and offering support to local authors. I joined the group in February of that year with hopes of having some people that could offer me feedback for my writing. But it ended up giving me much more than that.

Thanks to this group and its leader, Brandy M. Miller, I soon undertook the mission of finishing the book I'd started in November 2011. The writers held me accountable to meeting my weekly goals. Not only that, but I was asked to proofread "The Write Time: How to Find the Time You Need to Write a Book." In doing so, I found several of the points Brandy M. Miller made to be very helpful. The basic premise: You have all the time you need, it's what you do with it that counts. This book offered suggestions on how I could find the time I needed simply by getting my priorities straight.

But back to the group: Since it began, it has grown to more than 20 members and has published its own anthology. I wasn't the first to finish a book since joining, but I am among the first of what is sure to be an ongoing tradition.

If you want to write your own book and know a local author or a writers group, I'd seriously recommend starting there. You never know what it may lead to.

No comments:

Post a Comment